CCW Permit Info

Pistol Free Areas

Michigan State Police

Beginning July 1, 2001, individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol by Michigan or another state will be prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol in the following areas:

  1. Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian
  2. Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency.
  3. Sports arena or stadium
  4. Dining room, lounge, or bar area of a premises licensed under Liquor Control Code but does not apply to owner or employee
  5. Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons
  6. An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more
  7. A hospital
  8. A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university
  9. A casino

A pistol is subject to immediate seizure if the CCW permit holder is carrying a pistol in a "pistol free" area. The following penalties may also be imposed:

  1. First offense: State Civil Infraction, $500 fine, CCW permit suspended 6 months
  2. Second offense: 90-day misdemeanor, $1000 fine, CCW permit revoked
  3. Third and subsequent offenses: 4-year felony, $5000 fine, CCW permit revoked

Furthermore, effective March 29, 2001, per Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court:

"Weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court’s written policy."

Benny N. Napoleon
Wayne County Sheriff
(313) 224-2222

Service Assistant

How can we assist?
Ask a question or describe the service or information you're looking for!
I need to pay my property taxes.
How can I contact my commissioner?
How can I report a road hazard?

View All Services