Today Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy has charged Rudolph Washington, 38, of Brownstown, in connection with the theft of property belonging to the City of Detroit Public Lighting Department (PLD) and embezzling funds during the course of his employment with PLD. It is alleged that from May 12, 2014 until July 1, 2014, Washington had no authority to use a PLD credit card and made approximately 79 unauthorized charges totaling $4,288.99. He is also alleged to possess eight new General Electric brand street lamps and 96 four foot fluorescent light bulbs identified as City of Detroit property valued at $4,361. The Detroit Police Department conducted a criminal investigation in this matter. In July 2014, Washington resigned his position with the DPL.
Felony Charges for Rudolph Washington
- Count 1: Embezzlement - $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. 750.1745C
- Count 2: Larceny by Conversion - $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. 750.3623A
- Count 3: Larceny - $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. 750.3563A
- Count 4: Stolen Property - Receiving & Concealing $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. 750.5353A
- Count 5: Stolen Property - Receiving & Concealing $1,000 or more but less than $20,000. 750.5353A
- Count 6: Larceny in a Building. 750.360
- Count 7: Financial Transaction Device - Stealing/Retaining without consent. 750.157N1
- Count 8: Financial Transaction Device - Illegal Sale/Use. 750.157Q
- Count 9: Financial Transaction Device - Possession. 750.157P
"The lack of working streetlights resulting in dark neighborhood streets and heightened crime has long been a serious condition for Detroiters. The alleged actions of the Defendant in this case were a direct contributor to a problem that the City has been struggling to fix for years," said Prosecutor Worthy.
Washington is expected to be arraigned in 36th District Court located at 421 Madison Avenue tomorrow morning at 10:30 p.m.
# # # # #