Help Paying Property Taxes

If you are unable to pay your Wayne County taxes to prevent the loss of your home for tax foreclosure you may be able to get financial assistance and free legal help.

For Financial Help*
Wayne County Department of Human Services - DHS
(Formerly Family Independence Agency) can be contacted at (313) 456-1000. This is a general number from which you can obtain the phone number and address of your local DHS office. You can also simply go to your local office and apply for State Emergency Relief (SER). Offices are located throughout Wayne County.
Step Forward Michigan

(866) 946-4732.

Step Forward Michigan is a state program that provides interest free forgivable loans to pay past due taxes or mortgage payments.

Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency
(313) 388-9799

Wayne Metro Community Action Agency (Wayne Metro) provides essential services, diversified programming, and community resources to low- and moderate-income individuals and families throughout all of Wayne County. Today, Wayne Metro supports all of Wayne County with more than 50 programs with over 300 employees, and is proud to be one of the most innovative Community Action Agencies in the entire country.

Address: 7310 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48202

Detroit Area Agency On Aging

(313) 446-4444

Established in 1980, the Detroit Area Agency on Aging (DAAA) is a nonprofit agency that serves older persons, adults with disabilities and caregivers residing in Detroit, the five Grosse Pointes, Hamtramck, Harper Woods and Highland Park.

Address: 1333 Brewery Park Blvd Suite 200, Detroit, MI 48207
Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired

(313) 272-3900.

The Greater Detroit Agency for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides quality, innovative services that increase self-reliance, productivity and dignity for persons who are blind or visually impaired.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund, Wayne County Office
(313) 224-5045. If you are a veteran with at least 6 months of wartime duty, you may qualify for financial assistance.
Wayne County Veteran Affairs (Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund)
(313) 224-5045. If you are a veteran with any wartime service and an honorable discharge, you may qualify.
Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services (ACCESS)
(313) 842-7010. Help is available to those who qualify and is not limited to those of Arabic ethnicity.
For Wayne County communities outside of Detroit
Contact your local city hall for information concerning local funds available to assist you.
Many banks and mortgage companies offer a variety of mortgages and loans
It is ALWAYS advisable to obtain counseling when seeking a mortgage to pay your taxes to prevent foreclosure. There are reputable non-profit organizations in some communities that provide home buyer and mortgage counseling. (If you live in Detroit, call the City of Detroit Planning Commission at (313) 224-7887 to find such a group.)

* All financial help is contingent upon qualifications and available funding. If you believe you were wrongfully denied State Emergency Relief, you may obtain free legal help from one of the agencies below:

For Free Counseling and Legal Assistance:

  • United Community Housing Coalition - (313) 963-3310 (Detroit only)
  • Michigan Legal Services - (313) 964-4130 (Wayne County)
  • Legal Aid and Defender - (313) 964-4700 (Wayne County)