Elder Abuse Unit - (313) 224-6647

The Elder Abuse Unit prosecutes cases where the victim is 65 years or over and the crime is in one of the following categories:

  • Crimes involving assault of elders
  • Home Invasion
  • Arson
  • The crime occurred at a Nursing Home facility
  • The crime occurred at a licensed or unlicensed Adult Foster Care facility
  • Fraud cases involving $10,000 or more

The Unit also prosecutes cases where vulnerable adult abuse is charged.


  • Legal Hotline for Michigan Seniors: 1-800-347-5297

  • The Dept. of Human Services 24 hot line to report elder abuse: 1-855-444-3911

  • The Elder Law and Advocacy Center, Neighborhood Legal Services of Michigan: 1-313-937-8291

  • DHS Child and Adult Licensing complaints: 1-866-856-0126

  • DHS Nursing Home complaints: 1-800-882-6006

  • DHS Eldercare Services: 1-800-677-1116

  • Michigan Office of Services to the Aging: 1-517-373-7692

  • Guardian & Estates Ombudsman: 1-313-224-0589


What should I do if I am the victim of Elder Abuse or if someone I know is a victim?
Make a report with your local police agency
Who should I call to report suspected Vulnerable Adult Abuse?
Call the Vulnerable Adult Abuse Hotline ad 1-800-996-6228. The hotline is open 24 hours a day. All calls are strictly confidential.
Does the Prosecutor's Elder Abuse Unit handle probate or civil cases?
If you have a civil or probate matter call Neighborhood Legal Service at (313) 937-8291.
What should I do if I suspect someone is being abused in a nursing home?
To report suspected nursing home abuse call Citizens for Better Care at (313) 833-9548.